Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Wedding Edits & Edits & Edits


Recently I worked on a wedding video for someone. This was my first ever wedding video that I had the opportunity to create. I worked with another photographer at the event and we collaborated on the day of the big wedding event to capture some of the best moments on video and camera. The person I was making the wedding video for was the bride and she wanted to have a creative hand in the process. It sounded like a fun idea to me but I slowly found out that the wedding video turned into a belief of UN-realistic expectations and an edit that didn't highlight the memorable moments of the evening. It is very difficult for me to write this because I am thankful for the opportunity to shoot the video but I have learned how the edit and presentation of the wedding event can go in a completely opposite direction based on the desires of the client.

Here is a look at some of the notes I received while editing this project together with the bride (who very much wanted to give ideas to the creative process). I had some suggestions to make but it was driven mostly by the client/bride. I learned to edit in a very comprehensive way but as the weeks passed it turned into something very illogical. The edit's continued and would not stop. There did not seem to be a clear goal or understanding of satisfaction from her and it was just turning into "busy work". The project got done on time and it looks good to the client/bride but I do not think my best work was showcased. The final video turned into a story about two peoples lives and did not accurately highlight the "wedding day". For me the quality was diminished with the over use of graphics and quotes but the client was happy to see everything play out on screen.



Takeaway Note: Have a better idea beforehand and understanding of style. Clearer understanding of time frame and communication of what "works" and what "does not work" in the video.



No comments:

Post a Comment